Monday, March 14, 2011

Every three months...

Every three months for the next four years Danny will go in to his oncologist, have some blood work  and occasionally a scan done and make sure that he is healthy and cancer-free.  We've had these appointments throughout the last year. Sometimes they have been really hard to go to-hard to just sit in the building again, hard to remember. As time has gone by they have gotten a bit easier I think. Yesterday when Danny had an appointment-I didn't even go with him. Shocking I know! I wish I had actually, Danny saw our favorite nurse who is pregnant with her first baby-I'm so excited for her. It's amazing how connected you feel to the people there ( and they to you-all the nurses tell Danny how sexy/handsome he is now. I thought he was cute bald-but technically he is in much better shape these days:)

Anyway, without these appointments sometimes we are able to forget about that time.  Then little things remind you-Danny has been feeling kind of sick after eating for the last while now.  Chemo made him lactose-intolerant so I was thinking that he would have to be even more vigilant about staying away from dairy (he has been able to eat butter on things) or maybe he had just caught an annoying stomach bug. He asked the NP about it and she told him that the amount of chemo they gave him had pretty much stripped his GI tract and he would likely feel this way the rest of his life. Shoot. Doesn't that stink? He is going to start taking prescription strength probiotics in an effort to help, but that is about all we can do.  It is annoying, but probably a good reminder of how lucky we are he is generally healthy, not to mention alive.  (Be proud of my awesome attitude-it took awhile for me to get there, and I still don't totally buy it. Danny does though-he has had a very good attitude about it from the start.)

Hopefully it is another three months until we have to think about cancer again.

1 comment:

  1. I love you girl! Hang in there :) Time heals and lessens the sting of things. And on the bad days, just let 'em come, take em for all the crying they're worth so they don't linger on til the next big whopper :)

    I am sure there is so much happening, being thought, being felt behind the wall of this blog that nobody but you will ever comprehend, not even Danny. And it's been surely a long haul.

    Hugs * from me :)

    ReplyDelete