
We have officially started chemotherapy! Okay-let me start on Friday. Friday Danny had a Pulmonary scan to check his lungs because one of the chemo drugs can seriously effect your lung capabilities. That evening we had our first meeting with our oncologist since we were diagnosed. We learned that the bone marrow biopsy came back negative-so no cancer in his bones. He has been diagnosed at a Stage 2 B which has very high cure rates-so good news. Then our oncologist explained why we are getting the chemo treatment we are getting, which is called BEACOPP. It is an escalated chemo treatment that isn't very common in the USA yet, but with Danny's symptoms (night sweats, weight loss-they determine the "B" in his diagnosis) it is perfect. It has a 10-15% higher cure rate. It isn't common around here because it is expensive and harder on the body, but for a young guy like Danny-the benefits (%cure rate) beat out the disadvantanges. The possible long term side effects are infertility, heart problems and leukemia-the latter being the worst possible outcome. I'm feeling pretty bumbed about the possibility of infertility but I'm glad we're using this treatment-we'd rather only do this once and not have to fight the cancer again later. One Monday we started Day 1.

Our treatment center is really nice-it isn't a hospital and doesn't feel like one. They stuck what looked like a large tack into Danny's port and gave him his IV drugs through there. He got three chemo drugs and a premed cocktail (a steriod and anti-nausea medicine). We were there about four hours and then got to head home. Danny felt pretty awful the rest of the day. Nausea and fatigue are the biggest symptoms so far-but he was popping anti-nausea medicine like it was candy last night and nothing seemed to helped. We talked to the nurses over the phone and fortunately today they pulled out the big guns in anti-nausea medicine and he is dong a lot better. Our appointment today was only about two hours and tomorrow will be about them same. Then we get to enjoy several days of only oral chemo meds. While it has been rather miserable so far, we're feeling really glad that we're killing the cancer-Danny keeps imagining his cancer cells screaming in agony as he gets his treatments. Every once in awhile Danny will start making sound effects to some great battle with grenades exploding, guns blazing-we know that while the chemo isn't fun-it is doing its job. The cancer should be gone in the next two cycles, and greatly reduced by the end of this month-then we're just keeping it away for the next cycles until hopefully it can never return. He is much better today and we hope that is how things will stay. Hooray for modern medicine!Day 1

Day 2
You guys are troopers, and not just because of the gun fire and hail of grenades. I am glad to hear that Danny and you are doing so well, all things considered. You are in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteJared, Jessica & Lukas
PS: Christy, did Danny tell you about our joke about "the millions in his bank account"? If not, ask him about it.
if danny needs any back up firepower...i'd be more than happy to lend a hand. love you both. p.s. thanks for sharing mom and dad and katy with me for a little while here in lonely boston. haha
ReplyDeleteUm, Danny is so funny. I can TOTALLY imagine him making epic battle sound effects.
ReplyDeleteI so love the juicer, what a great thing to have! Christy it was great being with you before you move and I guess I'll forgive you for posting that wonderful picture of all of us in our crubs. LOL
ReplyDeleteDanny you are one incredible guy and I so love your smile in all of those pictures, you are so incredibly strong!!!!! I also love your humor, so like President Hinckley and that's what keeps ya going! We love you guys and you are always in our prayers!
You go Danny! Your positive attitude is helping us all to look at life with the same attitude. I give you two thumbs up for being so courageous. Chemo stinks. I pray for you everyday that those treatments take every bit of that cancer away. Hang in there, it's almost over. We love you.
ReplyDeleteLike I said before, the happiest cancer patient ever. Good luck and keep up the hard work Danny. Nausea is no fun. Thanks for keeping us updated. We are thinking about you and hoping that, all things considered, the treatment is as comfortable as possible. We will pray for your burden to be made light. Love you guys.
ReplyDeleteChemo can be the pits. My mother-in-law and aunt both had breast cancer and had a really hard time with nausea. Thanks for the update-you are in our prayers!
ReplyDeletePS-I sent you the recipes!
Dan is tough. I'm sorry about the nauseau. I hate that...I hope the big guns will work well. Way to keep smiling.
ReplyDeleteG O O D L U C K!!!!!!!! (imagine this waving like a banner--you know, for the battlefield:)).
ReplyDeleteYou two are one amazing couple! I am so glad you have each other to help get through these challenging tines. Thanks again Kristy for keeping this blog. It is so nice to have great updates. I think about you guys all the time. Love, Missy
ReplyDelete