Sunday, August 16, 2009

Overview of the Week by Danny

What an interesting week. As most of you know, I have been taking
those White Blood Cell Booster Shots everyday for the last 5 days.
(Today was my last shot for cycle one!!! Yeah!) Each new thing
definitely brought with it its' own interesting side affects. In a
way each new side affect was kind of a relief compared to the one
before. It was almost refreshing to feel a different type of side
affect when it came on, just because it meant the other one was over.
That sounds kind of sick now that I say it, but it's the truth.

One night I felt like Wolverine except I'm a really disappointed that
I didn't at least get to have a metallic skeleton after the pain.
After that night of almost overdosing on Vicodin, we got a
prescription for a drug called oxycodon (or something like that),
which Luke informs me is related to heroin and as close as you can get
to an illegal narcotic. Pretty sweet huh! And yes, it is pretty sweet
feeling, especially after all that pain. It numbed my mind pretty
good though. That day all I seemed to want to do is watch tv, so I
watched 2 movies on tv, (Ray, and Training Day) and three 4th quarters
of preseason NFL (I'm definitely going to be a football junky during
this time). I took another oxy last night, but so far, I have been
able to have a pretty clear head and feel pretty good.

I also have a horrible soar throat, and the doctor informed me that I
have "thrush", (which to me sounds like they decided to put 'throat',
and 'rash', together for a clever word). So, we got a prescription
for a highly sophisticated potion called "Magic Mouthwash". It's a
pretty silly name for how hard it is to get and how long and
complicated it is for them to put together. It is some kind of
compound that they have to make and it took them all day yesterday.
You are supposed to swish and swallow. It basically numbs your mouth
so it is easier to eat with your mouth sores, etc. And I wish it would
numb my throat, but I guess it takes some time to get rid of the sore
throat. It hasn't held me back from eating too much it just hurts
like the dickens.

Something that has been fun to do is Christy has been reading to me
the, "Al Capone does my shirts", book out loud the last two nights.
It's a fun book and has been a fun thing to do together.

I downloaded the audio Book of Mormon the other day and it is a new
and enlightening experience to have it read to you. I was
particularly taken aback as I was listening to the Testimony of Joseph
Smith and what an absolutely remarkable story he has! The events of
the Restoration are absolutely amazing and incredible. I was so
amazed again at the fact that Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus Christ.
That he had those visits from Moroni, and all the other angels later
on. I was amazed and grateful at the restoration of the fullness of
the gospel through the Book of Mormon and other revelations, the
restoration of the priesthood and the true church of Christ. My life
has been so blessed by these things! What a remarkable and beautiful
thing it is!

I love you all. Hope you have a good Sunday.

Love. Danny.

3 comments:

  1. I just had to comment on the oxycodon! It's a sweet drug. I took that narc around the clock for about 2 years when I was first diagnosed with my kidney disease. That and methodone (it's what the give to meth addicts to help ween them off of meth) I took both of those and they REALLY helped with the pain. Methodone also really helped with my kidney stone pain! It's so nice to have something to take when you are in that much pain... I can't even imagine what you are going through. It really has put my life into perspective! Always praying for you! Love you! ~Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny, you are such a trooper and I love your positive outlook on things and your missionary spirit. GO Frankfurt!!!! Today, one of the high councilmen spoke in sacrament meeting about afflictions and shared some of his own. He had overcome cancer, and immediately thought "And Danny is gonna beat it too!" Hey do you remember Elder Holland's talk when he visted our mission? I don't know if that was before your time, but he gave great insights on how our life and its hardships relate to the atonement. I will email you the talk so you can listen to it. Frieden aus Hund. Lass dich nicht unterkriegen!

    Ewig Dein Freund Jared

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Danny, you are amazing and I remember Ixchelle talking about how important it is to swish with that stuff faithfully because of the stuff in your mouth. I love how positive you are and like Jared said, yesterday's talks were great and we were all thinking of you as we listened to the high councilmen speak.

    I took a children's lit class in college and we read "alcopone does my shirts" and I LOVED LOVED that book. It was a great reason to read a bunch of children's books and I'm glad you guys can have that to do together. :) You've got one awesome wife!

    You are funny talking about oxycodone, I'm glad it's helping! Thank you for sharing about the book of mormon on tape, maybe I should get that to! Your testimony is so strong and will be a blessing for so many other's to read it!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete