Thursday, August 13, 2009

Neupogen

This week has been great. We had our last chemo injection on Monday with minimal side effects. The rest of the week we get Neupogen shots-a shot in his arm that boosts his white blood cell count to keep him healthy. The cells are created in your bone marrow-which can prove painful when they're producing cells at such a quick rate. Your main bones-sternum, thigh bones, hips-get very achy. One woman described that she felt like she was a hundred years old because her bones hurt so badly. So far we have been lucky and he hasn't felt that bad-his chest hurts a bit. We are really looking forward to next week because it is relief week-his body will have a chance to bounce back. The nurse said that he'd feel perfectly normal by the last two days of relief week-before they started pounding him again:) Two days sounds good to me though! He is doing really well, the fatigue is probably the worst past of chemo so far. I wouldn't think that being tired could be so annoying-but he rests and sleeps and has no relief-he just feels tired consistently. Anyway, next week will be fun-we'll go out and celebrate. It is my birthday so I'll try and get him all to myself one day:) And because I have no pictures for this week-here is Lucy's first somersault:

3 comments:

  1. Two days is awesome and I'd imagine he's so tired after having your body shot up with all that stuff! Sleep is good, he sounds like he's doing great. I love Lucky's first somersault. Savannah started doing that a couple weeks ago on the bed, she loves to jump on our bed.
    Yeah for your Birthday, when is it? I hope you guys get to go out and have a great time together!!!! We love you guys, send Danny our love and if we get this job we might be neighbors! We can come visit all the time. :) jk Only as often as you guys would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that little somersault is darling! I can't wait for when Lily can do that! I'm so glad to hear that things are going better. And I'm so happy that you are doing this blog. I really enjoy getting to see so much of what is going on with you guys. I'm thinking about you constantly! Really love you! p.s. - I can't believe wer're going to be 26 this year! We'll officially be closer to 30 than we are to 20! AHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a great job at documenting and describing everything. That bone pain stuff sounds SO painful. I'm so sorry. I'm glad they gave him some good drugs though. Hope you are enjoying relief week! Love you guys

    ReplyDelete