Monday, October 3, 2011

Eat Real

Last weekend we needed something fun to do and Danny's boss told him about a foodie gathering in Oakland called "Eat Real".  It was a gathering of food trucks and outdoor classes about eating sustainable foods.  We invited my parents and left Pleasant Hill in short sleeves because it was a very pleasant 75 degrees. We got to Oakland and it was a chilly, overcast 70 degrees. We were a bit cold-and worried about the babies being cold-but had a really great time. We found an awesome parking spot on the street with no meter, which pretty much made my day right there.  There were a ton of people and we browsed all the food trucks and stalls before picking several to stand in line for.  Part of the deal was  that all the food had to be $5 or under-so that meant we were able to walk around and try lots of things. My favorite thing was a slider at Jim N Nicks BBQ.



Can you see some of the slogan in the background? It says "First we send them to heaven (the pig). Then we send you there". They did- it was wonderful.  We waited at Joes sea food truck for probably 45 minutes. We tried one of everything and the sea food eaters amongst us (= everyone but me) loved it. We also tried some great tacos, a naanwich (a delicious Indian sandwich) and some great fresh sorbet.




Lobster roll and shrimp poboy=yum and worth the wait

The babies were wonderful and got a ton of attention. At one point a very nice family walked by and just cooed at the girls for several minutes. They didn't speak any English but that didn't stop them from asking me all kinds of questions! I answered the best I could (with smiles and "Two girls", "Very different", "Big sister".)

3 comments:

  1. A naanwich sounds right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That slogan is awesome! I might get their address and just send them money for being so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love the food trucks in the Bay Area. Looks like fun. The pictures of girls' first bites were cracking me up. I've never tried baby food but it definitely doesn't look delicious. I don't blame them!

    ReplyDelete