Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

This week has gone by so quickly. I LOVE when time flies by these days. On Wednesday Danny got another blood transfusion. We're hoping its his last, but it went without a hitch and he immediately felt much better. It is amazing the difference two pints of blood make! He comes home with so much more color in his face and a lot more energy. On Thursday we had a low key Thanksgiving. I have never watched the parade before-but when Katy called to tell me there was an Elmo float I got excited and Lucy really liked watching all her favorite characters float down Times Square.

We decided to go against our normal tradition and go out to eat at a restaurant. For just the five of us we decided we'd skip the hours in the kitchen/cleanup etc. I am not a cook so I thought it was awesome. We went to Scotts in Walnut Creek (very nice) and everyone had there turkey dinner except for me-I had a cheeseburger. I know, I know...but it was delicious and I didn't even feel guilty about it.







I have never particularly enjoyed Thanksgiving. I don't cook, I don't particularly like the food (I just eat the rolls:). This Thanksgiving, however, I have reflected a bit more on what I am grateful for. It is somehow easier to recognize all you have when things are hard. I'm missing a lot of things I used to have, but it reminds me that much more how lucky I am to have what I do. I'm grateful Danny is receiving great medical care. I'm grateful we have good insurance and wonderful parents who can support us. I'm grateful for Marilyn who feeds, babysits, plays and cares for us in so many ways. I'm grateful for family and friends who pray for us and look out for us. I'm grateful for Lucy and that she is at the perfect age at this exact moment. I'm grateful Danny doesn't have any cancer cells in his body anymore. I am SO grateful that we are nearing the end of this experience. I have no idea what will happen next for us but more than anything I want to be finished with chemo. I am so grateful for our Savior. For the moments of deliverance and comfort He has offered us. For the many priesthood blessings we have received and the promises made in them. They give us hope everyday that life will be different soon. Thank Heavens:)

When I asked her what she was thankful for this year she said:
*Lamby (her lamb blanket she has slept with since she was a tiny babe)
*Gma
*Mommy
*Danny (she's been calling Danny by his first name for awhile. I love it when she calls him "My Danny")
*Baba (grandpas)
*Princess books
*Princess jammies
*Bibi (her binky. I know, she's two and still has a binky. I keep thinking when cancer is done I'll tackle the binky and potty training. Neither of us need any more trauma right now though:)
*Baba again
*Baba Steve (who was she talking about before? I guess it was you Baba Greg! She yelled "Steve" when she said it-it was pretty funny)
-I am grateful for all of those things/people too. They do a lot to keep her a happy little girl.

3 comments:

  1. Christy that was a beautiful post! I LOVE the last picture of Danny holding his sweet little girl so tight, it gave me chills seeing such a moment captured! I think it's fabulous that you guys went out to eat, your whole family deserves a break and I think it's AWESOME that you got a cheese burger, that's so you. Ha ha! You guys have such a sweet family and I can only imagine the gratitude in your heart with enduring such a trial as cancer. You guys are amazing and Danny is so strong! Happy Thanksgiving to your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jo Lynn - I love that last picture. Glad you had good Thanksgiving. Love Lucy's names for things too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words and this picture of Danny and Lucy hugging just make me cry so much. You've done SUCH an amazing job of recording this whole long journey in your sweet, positive, grateful way. Christy, your faith and fortitude and cheerfulness in the most challenging of times have kept me going more than you know. I'm so thankful for You! and dear Lucy and, of course, Danny, our inspiration.

    ReplyDelete