am on a Day 6 of a Chemo week! Last cycle at this time I was in real
desperate measures thinking that I was not going to be able to last
the day. I was pacing myself to death and counting the minutes until I
could take some sleeping pills. So, needless to say, I was really
nervous heading into this next cycle. I did have hopes that it would
be better since we realized some of the mistakes we made
overdosing and mixing the anti-nausea drugs caused the torture, but I
was still nervous with how much it hit me last time.
Since then, there has been a lot of fasting, prayers, and positive
reinforcement and support and I must thank everyone for that. I have
felt the blessings of the Lord so strongly during this week of chemo.
My body and mind have reacted so much better this time. I have been
able to do things, focus on things, rest, and have a pretty good week.
I was able to go out to Walnut Creek with Christy and Lucy, and last night I went
to a Nutritional Cooking class at this Cancer Community Wellness
Center with Mom. I couldn't believe it! I feel hopeful again, that I
will be able make it through this treatment. I pray that this will
continue and continue to ask for all of your prayers and good thoughts.
The wrinkle that has happened this time has been what I found out to
be the "Prednazone Crash". Prednazone is a steroid that I take a lot
of for 14 days straight, and then suddenly I stop it on the day of
"relief week". I always look for relief week as my glimmer of hope at
the end of the 2 week struggle, but I was so "wigged out", the first
couple of days that I had to call the doctor and see what was going on
with me. I was really anxious, depressed, and just mentally,
emotionally and physically really wacked out. It is really hard to
explain. When I called and explained to the doctor on call she was
like, "oh, you are totally on prednazone crash". I was upset that I
wasn't told about this before and to expect it, but I was happy to
hear that what I was experiencing was something explainable. We were prescribed some longer lasting anti-anxiety medicine that seemed to help me. It took awhile to wear off, but we were luckily distracted by Luke coming and going to SF, etc. That helped a lot. I'm hoping that we will be able to cope and handle it better this next time. I'm hopeful right now and feel confident that we can.
Tomorrow I meet with Janet, the nurse practitioner. On Tuesday I have
my day 8 infusion. And then it is on to shots week. Please remind me
to take the narcotics before the real pain sets in this time! No need
to have a Wolverine experience this time around... especially since I
never get the adiantium bones.
Other things- I am looking a lot different. I have gained a lot of
weight and am really puffy in my face. It's kinda weird to look in
the mirror sometimes.
I love you all and want to thank you all again for your fasting,
prayers and support! They all mean a great deal to me and I pray that
the Lord will bless you in return.
Here is a random shot of our chocolate lover:
Hey friend, we love you. Thanks for the update. We pray for you continually!! If you guys are feeling like Halloween in Davis, come on over to the OP. You can always nap at someone's house, and there's going to be a kickin' party!! It's in the afternoon, so you'll still have time to do the Monster Mash at mom & dad's that night! Just want you to know you are still loved, wanted arouhd, and appreciated! Love, Jared & Jess & little LukasPantz who loves to smile for you guys!
ReplyDeleteHi Danny,
ReplyDeleteI'm extremely happy to hear about your good week! I believe you were suffering more than any of us can ever imagine. I wonder sometimes why it is so hard for healthy people to appreciate the magnitude of suffering of others. I've tried to appreciate just how bad those days were for you, but I recognize it is simply impossible to imagine those feelings you had. I'm so happy you have found peace with your treatment. I was starting to worry myself sick in anticipation, and hearing the good news instantly lifted my spirit! Thanks and nice work!
Jamie