Monday, July 16, 2012

Paradise

It has taken me almost a month, but I don't want to miss posting about Hawaii. After we got home both babies got really sick with a high fever that lasted days and meant constant attention. It was manageable over the weekend with Danny home but afterwards was really difficult for me.  Now they are finally better and just going through my pictures of Hawaii makes me want to go back so bad. I need another vacation!

My parents came over on Wednesday night and we left the following afternoon.  I  had multiple lists of instructions to give them but the nice thing is it didn't matter much. They are pros and already know my children so well I knew they could handle anything.  I had a much harder time leaving them then I had anticipated. I was really ready for this vacation and excited that Danny and I would be off on our own, but when the time to leave came, I lost it.  I kept telling myself that it was good and healthy that I was missing them, and the best thing was that I wasn't at all worried about them.

We got our flights so late that originally Danny and I were not sitting together on the way there.  I didn't realize how upset I was about this until we were able to shuffle our seats around the day before we left-I was SO relieved!  Each seat had its own little tv and I think I watched four movies on our way there:) I was feeling fine until we touched down and I heard a baby cry. While the rest of the plane cheered (people flying to Hawaii are  very happy!), I cried.  Fortunately Danny laughed at me and I got over it.  When we got out of the airport Steve was there to drive us to Kailua. The air just felt different. I had to snap a picture in the car because it was just so lush and beautiful.



When we got to the house we found Mom, Luke, and Emily lounging in the spa and pool. Danny instantly ripped his shirt off and jumped in. The rest of the trip went like that-Danny couldn't be out of the water for very long. Within fives minutes we had our suits on and were hitting the beach, which conveniently was in the backyard.
We found Lindsay and Jason out in the water.

 We would go on walks down our beach and every couple minutes Danny woudl say, "Hold that thought..." or "One sec..." and being jumping into the waves. Then he'd shake off like a little puppy and we'd keep walking.

 View of our beach.
 On Friday we drove down the beach aways and went snorkeling...that is, everyone went snorkeling and I read a magazine and watched. I don't like knowing whats down there.

 The next day Julie and Chad arrived so the whole gang was there.  We went hiking together to a beautiful waterfall.


Afterward Danny had to hit the water again. During this trip I realized that I love to boogie board too, at least in warm Hawaiian ocean water. Danny and I spent a lot of time out there, alone or with the fam.


High-fiving Marilyn
 On Monday we went on another hike a bit closer to home.  There was a small waterfall and lagoon for jumping.  I was glad Danny jumped off this sensible height. Chad and Jason found some freakishly scary heights to jump from.


Right out the back gate it this beautiful stretch of lawn and this hammock. When we weren't in the ocean we read books or napped here-it was heavenly.

playing frisbee with his brothers




Each day we walked down our beach to "Kailua Beach"for some Island Snow.  There were candids of Pres. Obama around because he vacations on our beach and visits Island Snow often.  Of any souvenir he could have Danny chose to buy and Island Snow hat. Tells you how much we like our shaved ice:)
Danny always felt he should have been born Polynesian-he LOVES the island life.

When we got there I was worried that we would be gone too long. As the days started flying by I started thinking we wouldn't have enough time. In the end it was perfect. I was sad to leave, but happy to go home to my girls. We took a red eye that left Honolulu at 8:45 PM and got to Salt Lake at 7 AM. Frtuantely we slept throughout the plane ride and were so excited to see the kids that we didn't feel too tired that day.  Thy kids didn't miss us at all, but I was glad that they were still happy to see us:)

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure-- you deserve a break. What a perfect place to escape to.

    ReplyDelete