Monday, July 30, 2012

24th

As a Californian I have always been a bit jealous of Utah's 24th of July celebrations.  Being in Utah this year we have looked forward to celebrating Pioneer Day.  We woke up and headed to Lehi for Julie and Chad's annual neighborhood race. Lucy was really excited about it and consented to wear pants for the occasion (she is in a skirt/dress phase. I haven't seen her in pants in...probably a year.) Lucy raced in the 5/6 year old group with her cousin Conner. Don't they look a lot alike here?
(Lucy is also standing next to a girl I'm pretty sure she tripped as the race began. I was taking pictures so I kind of missed it...but I felt really bad. She was the only casualty of the day.)
Lucy and Conner had a great start. The race was really long! Danny was standing about half way and when told me Conner was second around the bend with Lucy in third. I'm sure she was trying to keep up with him but she should have paced herself a bit better...
Here is Conner racing in for his second place finish...

and Lucy meandering her way across several minutes later. When she saw Danny at the half way point she was dying. He couldn't get a jog out of her the rest of the race:)
Danny, Julie and Chad all participated in the adult race. As expected Julie beat all our boys and came in fourth overall-she killed most of the guys! Danny tried to stay pretty close to her and  finished only a little behind. Here they are getting their competitive juices flowing...

We went home and watched the parade on TV which Lucy really liked ( and saved us the hassle of parking and heat exhaustion). That afternoon my Mom (who was in town for the week), Becca and Ruby came up and we went shopping at the outlets. Not a very Pioneery activity, but super fun nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment