Monday, April 23, 2012

Tangled!

On Friday we had a birthday party for Lucy with her friends from church.  This was her first friend party, I somehow have managed to avoid doing one before now! About six little girls came and we had so much fun. Lucy has been obsessed with Tangled since it came out and this was the third year she has wanted a Tangled themed party.  In the past it has been low key just for family, so this year we went all out. 

This is my favorite view of my babies. Whenever I walk out the door they come rushing to the screen to peer out. Rapunzel's braid ran from the door down our walk.
 Becca arrived as Lucy went off to school to help me clean and set up for the party. We had two and a half hours until guests arrived-but we also had three children 18 months and younger! Turns out most of the time was spent feeding and holding our babes and we rushed around whenever our arms were free of children. That is why when the kids arrived I was makeup-less, but at least I managed to change out of my sweats.

Becca insisted I take a picture with my "pin the nose on Flynn" game. I drew it the night before and totally underestimated how long it would take me.  The game was a hit!
 When kids arrived they ran into Lucy's room and changed into princess dresses. This wasn't necessarily in the plan and I was shocked no one argued about who got what dress. Everyone was happy with their outfit and accessories.  Then they decorated Rapunzel's crown.
 This is the only shot I have of our doughnut tower. This could have been cool, but I forgot to buy a dowel and we completely ran out of time. After Becca simply held the thing upright for twenty mintues we gave up and it toppled. In the last minutes while Becc and I were doing everything else Danny crammed toothpicks into it and frosted "hair" and flowers onto it.  Regardless of its appearance, the doughnuts were good:)
 After our crowns were done we sang Happy Birthday and ate our donuts, apples and fishy crackers while watching the new short "Tangled Ever After". Most of the kids (and moms) hadn't seen it. We ended up watching it twice-it is such a cute movie.  Then we played our Pin the nose on Flynn game and made some Pascal party blowers.
 Before the party Lucy and I had several chats about being a gracious hostess and a receiving gifts graciously. We went so far as to act out some scenarios. She mostly remembered them.
 Our Flynn pinata. Whenever I ask Lucy to smile at the camera this is the pose she makes. I put a lot less paper mache one this pinata and it actually broke after everyone had had a try.
 Afterward we painted on the walls just like Rapunzel liked to do. I thought that at 4/5 years old this would be a pretty clean activity. One girl left with globs of paint in her hair and I found another girl painting her foot blue. Oops. At least nothing ended up on my carpet.
 Danny snapped these pictures after the last girl had gone. We were exhausted. I had been fighting a cold for a couple days and with the party done my body instantly felt worse. I guess my willpower had been keeping the worst of it at bay!  (Doesn't Becca look cute in her new glasses?!)

We felt very successful.  Lucy and her friends had a wonderful time. That said, like many families I think we'll do friend parties every other year.

1 comment:

  1. Looks SOO cool! and fun! And the girls in the costumes was genius!

    ReplyDelete