Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Zions

We spent a beautiful two days in Zions over Presidents Day. It is a tradition we've had with my family the last few years and we were really looking forward to seeing Grandma, Grandpa Greg and Aunt Katy there this year. We drove down on Friday and arrived just as the CA van got in. We hadn't seen Grandma, Grandpa or Katy for a whole month-so we were thrilled and Lucy was so excited she could hardly contain herself. First thing we went on our favorite walk behind our hotel. It was such a nice escape from the cold up north-it was 65 degrees the whole time we were there! We ate at our favorite Pizza Noodle and just had fun being together. That night Becca and family arrived and Lucy loved playing with Ruby.









The next day we left the kids and Danny, Dad and I hiked Angel's Landing.  The men had hiked it before but it was my first time.  Okay, I need to preface what followed even though I would rather skip it, but it changed the whole hike and trip for me so, for historical accuracy, I will embarrass myself on the internet and tell you.  When we arrived at the trail head the parking lot was full-it was a gorgeous day so unlike past years that the boys hiked it, there was little to no snow, so we met quite a few people on the trail. There was one empty parking but it had a thick strip of snow in it.  Dad suggested we go clear the spot a bit. Not thinking I jumped out of the car and, without testing it, kicked the small snow pile with all my strength. The pile did not move. I think I broke my toe. Yes, it was an incredibly stupid thing to do and no, I was not thinking at all. Danny then broke into hysterical laughter. Now, normally I am pretty good at laughing at myself, but who wants to be laughed at when they hurt so bad they are doing all they can not to cry and already feel really really stupid? I was furious with him and he wouldn't let the whole thing go.
 Anyway, we started the hike and I limped up the trail. I'd already felt like I'd been called an idiot so I was determined not to be weak too. I kept us at a pretty brisk pace all the way up. By the time we reached the first set of chains he had wiggled forgiveness out of me, mostly because I was scared on the chains and needed him right up behind me so I wouldn't die. Climbing up the chains really hurt my foot so when we reached the top of the first hill I stayed behind and the boys went on to the very top. I don't regret not going on at all-Danny said it was the scariest thing he's ever done. There was snow and ice in places that made the trail and chains very tricky-so I'm just glad they made it off the mountain.


We relaxed the rest of the day and by that night my big toe was as swollen and black. I limped around for the next week:) Oh well, the trip was worth one little accident. We can't wait until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment