Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Grateful

Disclaimer: I was grateful last week when I was supposed to be, but I'm grateful now when I actually have time to blog too.

Danny and I started a new Thanksgiving tradition this year. This summer we started writing one thing we were grateful for on a thin post-it note before we went to bed. I like it because it forces me to look back on my day and I end up thinking of all the things that went well or I appreciated.  The night before Thanksgiving Danny and I decided to frame all of our little gratitude slips. We had a great time reading through them as we placed them in the frame. We plan on layering our slips on top of each other each year.  Many of the slips were about our girls, our extended family, health, date night, the Savior.  Several were about my camera:) On one I was grateful someone returned my wallet when I lost it at the grocery store. On one Danny was grateful for air (he must have been tired that night).

I have been reading letters Danny wrote to his family when he had cancer. I made them into a book when he went into remission and it has been good to look through. It is amazing that I sometimes forget that time. I hope I don't forget the lessons I learned throughout it--I don't want a reminder:)

This year we spent Thanksgiving day with both families. We had a terrific morning at the Leiningers where we watched the parade and ate delicious wassail (yes I took a pic of it because it was so good-there were raspberries in it=awesome!)

Lucy played with her cousins, we ate a wonderful dinner, talked and played cards.



That evening we went to my grandparents an enjoyed a second Thanksgiving feast. Lucy and Danny played outside until it got dark and the babies were admired by my Uncle Mark and Kevin. Grandma Kay made the best Turkey I have ever had (she brined it-that must have been the magic because it was SO GOOD). 


I think I have documented how much I dislike Thanksgiving as a holiday-but this year has changed my mind (it helped that I didn't have to do ANY cooking:)

2 comments:

  1. That is such a good idea! I love it. (The post it note thing.) I think I should do it too...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls look so grown up sitting there on Gma Marilyn's rug! Love Danny's necklace! Lucy looks like she is flying on that tramp. It's all good at Thanksgiving--glad you are coming around to at least like that day!

    ReplyDelete