Sunday, June 26, 2011

2 Months!

I can't believe the girls are already two months. At the same time, I feel like they've been here forever. Things are finally settling down here and we're getting the hang of things. Here is how it goes:

Sleeping/Eating (they definitely go together):
I am lucky that the girls are pretty good sleepers.  In the last two weeks they have started sleeping more and more at night-I am thankful for any extra minute by now).  I feed them both at about 9 PM then give them a couple extra ounces of expressed milk or formula so they are extra full.  They go to sleep awake (I didn't manage that with Lucy until 9 months!) and usually don't fuss much.  They wake up about 1:30 and if I put binkies back in they can stay asleep until about 2-2:30 AM. If only one baby wakes up, I feed her by myself, put her back to sleep and wake up and feed the other one. If they wake up at the same time then I feed them together and Danny burps and changes them while I keep feeding. I really like it when they wake up together-it speeds up the process a ton and ensures that both girls are hungry enough to eat well. The first scenario is much harder - I hate waking a baby up to eat when she just isn't ready. What inevitably happens is the first baby eats well because she was hungry, and she sleeps well until the next feeding. The second baby gets woken up, I try and make her eat, she eats only a little and then wakes up way earlier then her sister because she's starving.  The advice to  "keep them on the same schedule" is a lot harder than it sounds.

During the day the girls still eat every 2-3 hours, however, they only eat about 15 minutes total. I am hoping they start eating more each feeding and spacing them out a little more. All in all I have had a easy time breastfeeding them. They are good little eaters and great burpers.  I feel very lucky that everything has worked out so well.

The girls still sleep a good portion of each day. During the day they sleep in their bouncers, swings, moby wrap and on their caregivers (me, Danny, grandmas, aunts).  Lately Joyce wakes up whenever you put her down in a bouncer, so she gets held pretty often. At night they sleep together in their crib. Until this week they've been in a bassinet and by the end it was sagging in the middle and the girls were falling into each other. They seem to like the crib and it gives them a bit more space so no one is getting elbowed in the face/kicked in the ribs.

Socializing:
The girls are starting to be be awake more and more. They are barely starting to coo and smile at us too. I feel a bit bad because I think they'd smile more if we interacted more. When the girls are awake and happy they usually get thrown in a bouncer so I can shower/eat/etc. While I talk to them constantly, I am trying to stop and actually look at them while I talk to them more. I am excited for more and more smiles-they really transform their cute little faces.

Both girls are great to travel with. While they sleep less in the car I have still been able to take them out and about quite a bit. I can't stand staying home all day so it is really nice to be able to get out more than I expected.


Here are their two month stats:

Joyce
Weight: 9 lbs 12 oz (23%)
Height: 23 inches (76%)
Head: 15.5 in (69%)


Joyce is such a great baby. She is a little fussy but it is just because she loves to be held. She has slightly darker skin and hair then Lydia does and I feel like her face changes every day. She still loves to sleep with her hands right by her face. She has a very expressive forehead and it is usually furrowed:) She will take a binkie, but it takes  bit of persuasion.

Lydia
Weight: 10 lbs (29%)
Height: 23.25 in (83%)
Head: 15.24 in (50%)
(So I guess we can't call Lydie "little head" anymore. I have no idea why Joyce's head looks so much bigger!)



Lydia has a cute little mouth that makes her look like she is always smiling. Her cry is much higher pitched (and dare I add more shrill) then Joyce's  and once she decides to cry she really wails. Fortunately she is pretty mild most of the time and loves her binkie. She has beautiful pale skin with a very light pink hue. Unfortunately she has a temperamental digestive system and frequently has painful gas.

4 comments:

  1. Your pictures are so cute!! That one of Joycie really captures her new look. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those babies are beautiful!!! What a lucky mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back soo many memories. You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete