The newborn phase has been incredibly fun so far. The girls still sleep pretty much constantly. I swear I didn't see Joyce's eyes open for maybe three days-they are loving their sleep right now. They are on a good schedule so far-they eat every three hours except at night when they sometimes lengthen it to four. I breastfeed one baby for thirty minutes (or as long as I can keep her awake and eating), then hand her off to my helper (I have always had a helper so far...a littler nervous about letting that go one day...) for burping and feed the next baby on the other side for thirty minutes. Meanwhile the first baby gets burped, changed and supplemented with expressed milk. When the first baby is done she gets cuddled or put to bed and the second baby starts the second half of the routine. Feeding them both takes between an hour and an hour and a half. I try to sleep for the next hour and a half along with them before everyone eats again. With my body clock going crazy I hardly know what day it is and I am constantly hungry. Tonight I'm going to start trying to breastfeed them at the same time in hopes of cutting the feeding time in half-wish me luck!
One thing I love about this stage is how cuddly newborns are. I hug babies all day long and they snuggle in and crave being cuddled back. Lucy loves hugging, patting and helping with the babies. She is an expert at throwing diapers away, putting binkies in and holding the babies (as well as sanitizing:)
One thing I didn't expect with these girls is how very different they'd be. I knew they were fraternal-but I guess I expected that babies were pretty similar at this stage-especially since they're just eating and sleeping at this point! My girls both look and act very different. For example, Joyce HATES being changed or naked, loves her hands tucked right up by her face and will sleep easily anywhere. She eats quickly and then loves to fall asleep against me-and once asleep she is unlikely to wake up and eat again. Lydia loves to be held and cuddled. She likes being changed and feeling clean. When she needs something she doesn't just cry- she screams and while rare-I always know when it is Lydia. She has always been a good eater, but isn't the best sleeper unless she sleeps with someone (right now Joyce is sound asleep in her bed-Lydia was in bed for about 30 minutes and after fidgeting and crying is now resting on my knees as I type:). Physically they look very different, and while Joyce looks bigger they are actually the same length. Lucy has always been very good at telling them apart and likes to make sure they have their own little bunnies and binkies.
Well, that was as clear as my tired mind can make it-but I have been feeling bad about not posting because I really want to remember these days. I can't wait until Becca comes this weekend so I can actually take some pictures of these girls. Why do I need Becca? 1) I am awake enough to feel bad I have no pics but too tired to do anything about it 2) Becca has a nice camera and is naturally gifted at such things. Okay now for some of the few pictures I have taken.
| Joyce |
| Lydia |
| Joyce |
| Lydia |
I've only been gone for a couple hours and the pics made me miss them so much!
ReplyDeleteGood job documenting everything! As I was reading this I was trying to remember back to what I was doing/feeling and I totally don't remember anything, crazy how that happens. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL and I love their little bunnies with their names. I'm glad you have help and that you're getting sleep, and ya...I'm STILL hungry all the time. It's like all I can think of these days. Good luck with everything, you're doing awesome, what a beautiful family!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing an aMAZing job Christy! Those little faces are adorable!! Do you think one looks more like Danny and one more like you? They are just precious, and what a good little helper Lucy is. How sweet! Good luck with the dual feeding. You must be exhausted. You should be so proud of yourselves! Yay family! p.s. The men won their last church basketball game tonight, and are staying the next hour or so at the stake center for the "semi-final" game. (I laugh at how 'pseudo official' that sounds.) Thought Danny would get a kick outta the news. Guess we'll see if they make it to the finals :)
ReplyDelete