Monday, May 13, 2013

Mono and Disneyland

Several days before our Stanford appointment a few weeks ago I got what I thought was the flu. My body ached, and I had a fever for days. I took my pillow in the car with us to Stanford, worried I'd be having chills/fevered sweats the whole time. I was blessed that for the entire appointment I felt well. The next day Danny had his biopsy and he recuperated at his parent's house because I was still really sick. 
My mom and Katy helped watch the kids a lot that week-and then I forced us to go to Disneyland.  My throat was killing me and I thought I had a cold on top of the flu. Each morning I would wake up with really swollen eyes too...anyway-after our return home from Disneyland I was finally able to get a Drs appointment and after a blood test it was confirmed I have mono. Mono of all things! I knew I felt sick:) Anyway, that accounts for my less-than-overlyenthusiastic Disneyland experience. Instead I was just normal enthusiastic.
We drove down on Sunday and stayed at the Sheraton across the street. The kids loved the koi ponds and courtyards. After playing around the hotel and taking a dip in the hot tub we went and checked out Downtown Disney.


The next morning at opening time we got Danny one of these...
they move really fast! It got us on to dumbo faster than normal and was nice for Danny's recovering neck.

First thing we checked out the new Princess Fantasy Faire. We met Ariel, Aurora and Snow White. The babies never cease to surprise me. I would have expected Lydia to be gregarious and hug princess and Joyce to stand in the background watching--they completely switched on me and acted in the reverse.
The carousel was the babies' favorite. They went on it about ten times:)

My clan going on Dumbo!

The highlight of the day was meeting Merida.  She doesn't come to her meet'n'greet if it has rained that day.  When we came to Disneyland in January it rained each morning before the park opened and we were really disappointed not to meet her. This year when we woke up and it was raining I was so bummed for Lucy. Merida is her favorite princess and we're a bit obsessed with Brave right now. I checked throughout the day just in case and when I saw she was there we freaked out! We waited forever...but it was fun because she spent a lot of time chatting with us. She hugged the babies forever and Lucy was excited to tell Merida her favorite Scottish phrase in her very best accent.



Tiana is another of our favorite princesses so we were excited to see her outside our lunch place! Joyce held her like this forever.


Lucy almost went on Indiana Jones. Danny took the babies back to the hotel to rest and so us big kids got in line for Indiana. the line was getting a little bit scary...when the ride broke and they sent us all on our way. She was relieved:)
Lucy's favorite ride!
We waited for the parade with ice cream and hot cocoa. Unfortunately the sky looked a little gloomy so they cancelled:(
As the babies came back into the park they got to meet Minnie Mouse! Joyce was so happy and even Lydia gave her a high five.
We had such a fun time. Katy and I were able to sneak away and go on Space Mtn. 3 times-which = heaven.  The babies were great and had a blast going on rides in Fantasyland. Thanks for making my dreams come true everyone:)

After another week I am finally feeling better. No medicine for mono, so I'm just waiting it out. We are also waiting on the pathology of Danny's tissue to find out what our next steps are. It has been a long month of waiting.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, in a couple of those pictures you don't even look like you. Those swollen eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such fun. I'm glad we didn't have the diagnosis for you yet! Otherwise we would have been smart and stayed home. That day was such a blessing. Plus, now Lyddie and Joycie know the magic that is Disneyland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaugh! I thought I was on my account, not Katy's. Clearly that last comment is mine! (mom)

    ReplyDelete