Thursday, May 2, 2013

Chapter 2


A few weeks ago Danny went in for his semiannual PET scan.

It is amazing how in one minute everything can change.

One moment Danny and I were driving back from Tracy (Danny had to check out some properties for work), talking about the benefits of piano vs. violin lessons for Lucy. As we were going up the hill on Ygnacio near John Muir he listen to a voice mail he'd just received, having ignored the call from an unknown number. I kept chatting and it took me a minute to notice that His head was down and he was breathing funny. I looked over and he looked ashen. 
I immediately knew. 

I swerved through two lanes of traffic to take the next right. I pulled over in front of a large mailbox in a red zone, threw the car into park and started hyperventilating. I didn't have any thoughts-just a serious rush of feelings. I usually find that the two are linked, but not today. I had lots of feelings with no rational thought. Eventually my only thought was that I needed to breathe. 
Then my reaction to Danny's cancer recurrence got really embarrassing.  I jumped out of the car, walked over the sidewalk to the grass and had a full out tantrum. I sobbed breathlessly, attacked the  grass with my fists and maybe screamed a bit. Danny came over and started talking to someone. That was when I noticed that two women were hurrying over and looking really worried. Poor girls, I probably terrified them. 

After two weeks the shock has worn off a bit and the denial is getting harder too. Today we went to Stanford and met with a Lymphoma expert. We learned a lot about his treatment options and know that he will get the best care possible there. I'll go into all the details of his treatment next time, at this moment nothing is quite certain. Today he went in for a surgical biopsy. There is the possibility of a miracle, that the lymph node they extract will come back clean, but we are all prepared for the more likely scenario.

Danny, as usual, is dealing with everything with faith. He is a wonderful example to me.  While I was breathing raggedly in the car that day trying to get my legs to stop shaking, he turned to me and told me that this was his chance to face this trial again with greater faith. We both feel lucky to have been in this experience before. The first time I felt like cancer would rule our lives forever, like chemo would never end and we would never be a "normal" family.  This time we know the pain, uncertainty and chaos will end. We have seen the other side and it is wonderful. We have been so happy these last three years. Even when circumstances have been hard, it has been easy to be grateful because we had been in such a worse place.  I know we'll get through this chapter too.

(Maybe I can convince Danny to go for quadruplets afterward too!:)

6 comments:

  1. I am amazed by your positivity. I admire and love both you and Danny. You guys are in our prayers!!! I hope we can be of some help to you during these next 6 months. I know you have a lot of family but we would love to help in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that. You are such a wonderful family with great faith. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no, no, no, no. I was wondering why you decided to go public again, but I'm so sad that this is the reason. I'm going to go sob my eyes out right now (and I'm not even kidding). You guys are the most beautiful family, and that's true no matter what life brings. We love you, and I'm thinking of you and praying for you 24/7.

    And just look at that guy! No one but Danny could have such a big smile in his pre-surgical hospital gown. Seriously.

    You guys are amazing and brave and strong, even when you feel the weakest--when you're tantruming on the side of the road. Don't ever forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rolling up my sleaves and ready to get into the trench with you, emotionally speaking...Sorry to hear this awful intruder is back, but confident you will handle with the grace and strength you did the first time around. You have a lot of people here at TWD in your corner and rooting for you, no one louder than your Dad and me! Deep breath and here we go again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy I'm just bawling right now reading this post, my heart is broken for you, Danny and your sweet family!!! I would have thrown a tantrum too, bless your heart! Danny is such an example to me as well, I remember reading his posts and sitting in awe at his faith in Christ to be comforted and healed! You and Danny are beyond brave and I know you will fight this and get through this!! I'm sending love and prayers for Danny and a speedy battle that he will win! Hang in there, sending big hugs to both of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry that you are having to face this again. I appreciate your courage to share the brutal truth of your feelings. Most of the time we only share our braveness and cheerfulness. I think that can create distance because we don't want to say something that might shake that courageous balance. Because you shared this I feel like I can reach out and give you a hug. Danny is in my prayers every day. So are you and your kids and all of your families. I pray that it will be Heavenly Father's will to send many, mighty miracles to heal Danny and your family.

    ReplyDelete