Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sum up

So I've been experiencing bloggers guilt for awhile. I have had no desire to blog-but so many important things have been happening! That has made it worse because now I am so behind I don't know how to catch up. Instead I will summarize said events so that I can start fresh.

Grad school decision
I left everyone in suspence after my last post. After attending Cal Poly's open house Danny decided to go to UC Irvine. I am thrilled just to have the decision made-I always hoped only one school would accept us so we wouldn't have to make the choice-but I'm relieved it was such an easy decision anyway. It helps that Disneyland is only 20 minutes away from our chosen location:)

Lucy turns THREE!
Yes, my baby is three. I am in shock. I don't remember life without her, but am still surprised she is such a big girl. She had three parties, which is only fitting. We got to celebrate with her Blodgett cousins which was incredibly fun. She got a Princess potty seat, a singing Belle doll, princess clothes, princess books and many more miscellaneous princess items. Notice the theme.

Surfing!
On Lucy's birthday we met Grandma and Grandpa Leininger and the Blodgett boys in Santa Cruz for a beach day. It was quite an event because it was Danny's first surfing trip since he was diagnosed.  As he recovers he has been swimming at the gym to try and get back in shape and he did great out in the water.  We were at Pleasure point so he could surf right in front of us. It was fun to see him so close.

Potty Training
As awful as everyone said. I went into it with so much confidence-Lucy was fully 3, a girl, super excited about Princess panties-it should be easy right? Wrong.  I felt like failure was not an option and stuck with it only five days when my mom said I was allowed to stop. Lucy and I were having a power struggle-so I'm waiting until she asks to be a big kid and go on the potty. Hopefully we'll get some peer pressure. I hope we're not waiting until kindergarten!

Job
Danny got a job for the summer! He started two weeks ago as the intern for the Walnut Creek Planning Department.  He is learning a ton and the experience is invaluable for his resume. He is really enjoying the work and because it is unpaid he gets to set his own hours and stay home with me on Fridays.  He loves working downtown and it is fun to come eat lunch with him.  I am not enjoying him being gone. I have been spoiled to have him home with me for so long, and I miss him.

Good bye Binkie
I think I have already publically admitted that I let Lucy keep her binkie this long. Yes I am slightly ashamed.  Last week the "Binkie Fairy" came and took her binkie (because little babies need them not big girls).  We placed the binkie in an envelope and put it in the mailbox. When she got back to her room there was a big princess present in her bed-a new soft Snow White doll to sleep with instead! There was also the promise of another present when she successfully slept through the night. When she woke up the next morning she dashed to the mailbox and found an Ariel Jewlry box inside (mine for high school-yes, a love of princesses runs in the family).

She was thrilled with her new doll and music box and happy to get rid of the binkie. The rest of the week hasn't gone so smoothly. She stays awake for about two hours after we put her to bed thinking of new excuses to call for mom or dad.  She has cried about her binkie but I think just to get me to hug her when she should be in bed.  The sad thing is that she isn't napping. I have loved the three hour naps she was taking, and now she just can't settle down to sleep. I'm still enforcing "quiet time" so hopefully it will become "nap time" again soon.
On the night I took her binkie I had a mom breakdown. Marilyn tells me that this is normal and all moms experience the horrible moment when they realize their baby isn't a baby anymore. In Lucy's bedtime routine I sing her "I am a Child of God" while holding her. I always ask if she want me to hold her like a baby (cradled) or a big kid-she ALWAYS says baby. That night she said big kid. I couldn't get this image out of my head:
Anyway, after a long cry I guess I've accepted it.

Misc.
So to sum up, life is good. We're almost like normal people now. Danny goes of to work every day. Lucy and I watch princess shows, play princess games and try to go on one outing a day. We're incredibly excited to have a fresh start in Irvine where life will start progressing.  We are super excited for June when we have two family reunions and our post-cancer trip to look forward to.  How could I not be happy with this starting soon!

2 comments:

  1. OH man you did it! You caught up! Now blogging will be so much easier.

    Ok so you made me CRY with the "Lucy is no longer a baby" picture! Lamby/Lambie (?) was so white and clean! I'm never having children, it's too emotional. Oh wait crap, too late.

    The Binkie Fairy was a really good idea. I like the mailbox trick. I guess I'll be using that someday?

    As for SYTYCD, I might actually watch auditions this year for the first time. Usually I start with the top 20 but WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO DO??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet and creative way to say bye-bye to the binkie! It is always so hard when they start growing up and wanting independence and don't snuggle so much anymore. It seems that at age four Forrest wanted to start snuggle more again--something to look forward to.

    And, if it helps, Forrest wasn't potty trained until three and a half. But we had waited until he made the decision and he was seriously done in a day. So Lucy will definitely get there...and when she does, I bet it will be super easy.

    Good luck to Danny with his school and job (he also looks great!) and with your impending move! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete