Saturday, July 18, 2009

Welcome!


Welcome to our new blog. As many of you know, Danny was recently diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. We are so grateful for all of your prayers and support. The last couple weeks we have experienced a range of different emotions, but right now we're just feeling grateful and loved. We are optimistic that in a couple of months life will be normal again.
Several people have asked about Danny's syomptoms and what led to this diagnosis. About two months ago Danny starting sweating at night. He would sweat enough that he'd have to change his pajamas and eventually move to the couch to be more comfortable. At first it was only one or two nights a week-but then it increased in frequency. It was just an annoyance really, and we figured he was just overheating or something. We thought about going to the doctor to check on it-but come on! It's just sweat! Eventually Marilyn encouraged Danny to go in(for which we are eternally grateful) and he went to see his doctor at the UC Davis health center. The doctor had him take a chest x-ray and when she looked at it said, "Wow! What is THAT!" His lymphnodes were very swollen. She gave us a couple ideas of what could be causing his symptoms: an infection, tuberculosis, and lymphoma. At this point we tried not to freak out-I'd never thought one day I'd be praying for Danny to have TB but I did! He had a CT scan several days later that determined the size and location of the lymphnodes. The doctor sent us to the UC Davis Medical Center to continue our diagnosis and explained that without obtaining tissue we wouldn't know anything. They scheduled a rather invasive biopsy a week later and told us they'd have results a week from that. We came down to Concord and got a second opinion from an oncologist here who said that they could take tissue from a lymphnode in Danny's neck and have preliminary results in less than a week. Needless to say we took the second option and are really glad we did! On Friday the results came back as Hodgkins. We are feeling very blessed that it is Hodgkins and not non-Hodgkins. Hodgkins is very treatable with a 95% cure rate. At this point it is nice to at least know for sure what we are facing so we can start fighting it.
This week Danny goes in for a PET scan, has a check of his bone marrow and gets a port.
Definitions: As Steve explained it-when you get a PET scan you ingest some sugar substance that lights up the cancer cells. They scan you body and see all the cancer cells and how far the cancer has spread.
Bone Marrow- sounds like a painful procedure that checks if the cancer has spread to your bones.
Port: no clue really-it is something that goes into your skin and you receive chemo treatments through it. It sounds like it helps because they don't have to keep poking your veins. I guess you can shower with it in and everything. We haven't met with Dr. Sirott yet to talk about Danny's treatment schedule-his scans this week will determine his treatment.
We're starting this blog so you can check in on Danny and our family and see how we're managing. We are living in Concord with the Leiningers during his treatment and are in the process of moving out of our Davis apartment. We are really sad to leave Davis and all of the friends we've made there. At the same time we are really happy to be surrounded by our family in these next months. Thanks for reading!

22 comments:

  1. Just a quickie note to say that I have two very good friends who have had this cancer, and they are both doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Christy. What a blessing it must be for you all that Danny was able to finish his degree before treatments. The LORD is so good. There are so many people that love your sweet family. We are all praying for you and will keep your names in the Sacramento Temple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy thank you so much for starting this blog, we are all going to want to know how things are going with your sweet family. You have been apart of our fasts and prayers and Danny's name is in the temple and I know with out a doubt the Lord hear's and answers prayers. Your family is so strong and I know Danny is going to fight this and how thankful I am that you have such amazing families to support you during this time. We love you guys and I hope you'll call on us if there is ANYTHING we can do to make this time easier for you. Again thank you for starting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be thinking of you!

    --The Gunn Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you have started this blog Christy. Great post on all the details thus far. You are a super wife and Danny is lucky to have you supporting him through this. We love you guys so much and of course you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Excited to see you in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for starting this blog. It is calming to know how you found out, and what steps you took. When I heard about Danny I thought, "Why them?" I also actually was a little scared because I thought something like this could happen to me if it could happen to you. Your story has touched my heart. I am so impressed with your faith and healthy optimism. If I go through a similar experience in my future, I hope that I can to have your determination and strength. Christy and Danny, you are such great examples to me. Thank you! Many thoughts and prayers go with you!

    Heidi

    (In preparation for Sunday School, I read this article and thought that it would be appropriate to share:
    Richard G. Scott, “Trust in the Lord,” Ensign, Nov 1995)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like everyone has said, thanks for the details. You're in all of our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will be praying for you guys too. Best of luck with everything. YOu guys are such an amazing family and I know the Lord will bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey guys- What a great idea. It'll save the stress of always explaining things a hundred times, and can give you time to just be together and enjoy the strength of the Lord and the people who love you. You're in our every prayer, and of course wir denken immer an euch. Gott sei mit euch, und wir sehen uns bald! Lukas freut sich schon darauf. Kommt bitte enfach vorbei Abends wenn ihr hier seid um Dinge abzuholen. Wir haben euch ganz doll lieb! J & J & L

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Danny, I heard your story thru Julie and my wife Marcela. I had lumps back in January 2008, and it took until June 2008 before I was diagnosed with Hodgkins, so your doing just great in the "catch it early" department. It's really a strange time at the beginning, especially when you find out the lumps are large and/or there is a lot of them. I remember suddenly appreciating things around me more than ever before, it actually made me happy doing the most basic things like driving to work. I was real concerned about leaving Marcela alone, so I realized for the first time, it is possible to be happy and scared at the same time. When you are all better, you will look back on these feelings as a blessing , a true glimpse at your innermost values. We are confident you will make it. There are so many things I want to type... feel free to call us anytime for some practical tips - like don't eat after touching the steering wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You are in our thoughts and prayers we are hoping for the best for Danny and you and your little Lucy! Wish we were closer to offer more support! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Danny and Christy! This is Stephanie, Steve's wife. He gave me your address so we could keep it touch. You have been in our prayers and our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danny and Christy we love you guys and you are in our prayers. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this right now. I'm sure it is very stressful but it sounds like you have positive attitudes. Thanks for keeping us informed through the blog. Please post more pictures of Lucy to keep us smiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, what a crazy couple weeks you've had! I just can't even believe that your life can go from normal to cancer in like 3 seconds. You guys are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you started this blog. I've wanted to call or email or something, but I just didn't know when the appropriate time would be. I'm so glad to have the details. You of course are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad you can be close to family for this process. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you started a blog. It's easier than playing the telephone game and getting info from others. You are both in my prayers and I hope that everything goes well in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our family fasted for you last Sunday and you are constantly in our prayers. We send you good thoughts and wishes for you always. We are not too far away that we could watch Lucy for you anytime. I have now a supply of toys being a grandma too; please take us up on it. We would love to help! Rick and Charlotte Hutchins and family

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adding my thanks to the list. Thanks for the update. We hope and pray that everything will go smoothly. Danny is a trooper and I imagine him being the happiest cancer patient ever. We look forward to seeing you when we get home and your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  20. christy sister, i am thinking good thoughts for you and your precious-gift-from-heaven family. thanks for being so strong in your reliance on the Lord.
    love, nieman

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Dan & Christy!

    Thanks for the updates! We love you Danny Boy! Our prayers are with you every day. You are a wonderful strong man and we know you will come out of this stronger - we all will! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dan, I am soooo sorry to hear this. I just saw through facebook and you will constantly be in my thoughts and prayers. I love you sir.

    An old mission comp,
    Randy Wood

    ReplyDelete