When I wrote about it before I was imagining something like Iron Man's energy core popping out of Danny's chest. Thankfully it is much smaller and completely covered by skin. The port is a small triangle that is connected to a small tube that feeds directly into his blood. They placed it right about his right collar bone. There is an obvious bump there so the nurses can find it easily to give him injections. He was given pretty light anesthesia but can't remember the procedure at all. That afternoon we had an appointment with our NP to go over the plan for his chemotherapy. We raced him out of the hospital when he was relatively coherent and had the meeting. I'm glad he was still pretty loopy because hearing the therapy plan was pretty hard. Somehow I had expected chemo to be a shot once every two weeks that made you sick. Danny's chemo plan is a 21 day cycle. He will have 8 cycles-so we're hoping to be done end of December (the day before our fifth year anniversary in fact). The chemotherapy includes about 8 different drugs-half given intravenously and the other half orally. Then he takes a bunch of other oral drugs to keep the chemo drugs from hurting him too badly. Then there are a bunch of over the counter drugs to keep him functioning. We also go in to get the intravenous drugs about 10 days out of the 21 day cycle. Then she went over the side affects of each drug. It was all incredibly overwhelming and pretty scary. We went out and immediately bought a huge calendar and I feel better having organized the information a bit more. It will take a lot of doing but I know we'll get the hang of it. We are scheduled to start chemo on August 3. This week have to have an EKG and another test to establish some baselines so they can judge some of the drugs effects on Danny. He is also banking some sperm in case the chemo has a long term affect on our fertility. On Friday we talk to the oncologist about the heavy stuff like the likelihood of the cancer returning, future fertility and the PET scan results. We're excited to get this process started. Now that I've heard what it entails, I know why they call if 'fighting" cancer. We're ready for it though.
All weekend we've been joking about why having cancer is a good thing. We've come up with answers like better cable at our parents house, having DVR, the fall TV season starting (yes these were all my ideas:), having more time together as a family, having more time to figure out what we want to do after school etc. While we would probably never choose cancer for these couple benefits, we know that things happen for a reason. We feel really blessed for the timing of it all. We feel confidant that our faith will be strengthened and we will become closer to our Heavenly Father through this experience. Thanks again for all of your love.

Troy, the kids and I are fasting for you today. Danny, you are a fighter and you will beat this! Remember to keep a journal as much as you can. Your kids will someday read the story of Daddy's amazing courage, faith and endurance through this hard trial. We are all pulling for you. WE love you and pray for you everyday.
ReplyDeleteoh we love you! we have been praying and fasting for you. thank you for keeping us updated. we love all three of you and your sweet attitudes. let us know if there's ever a way we can help. love Brandon and Hill
ReplyDeleteThe picture above of Danny with a big smile is so him!!! We felt so good today fasting for you and your sweet family and we know you guys will fight this. Each prayer that was said today was for you Danny and of course your family, I hope you know how loved you guys are and how each of us in our ward are praying for you.
ReplyDeleteThis week I kept thinking that how cancer has no target, that it seems to get the most healthy, strong and amazing people. I can't wait for the day that we find a cure for all cancer so no one has to endure what you are going through. I do know that because of how strong you are, that you'll be the one with a smile on your face and be the upbeat guy no matter how crummy you feel.
Gosh, I guess I didn't think about fertility...I'm so glad they can save them so you will be able to make more adorable, sweet little kids! How could you not want more of Lucy? :)
Again we are so glad you have started this blog and we're praying for good test results on Friday!
Love,
The Meirovitz Family
Lieber Danny,
ReplyDeleteIch schreibe auf Deutsch, weil ich nicht möchte, dass alle anderen wissen, was ich dir schreibe. Ich liebe dich und bete für dich jedes Mal, wenn ich mit Vater im Himmel spreche. Ich bin immer für dich da. Du siehst immer noch gut aus und Ironman ist nichts im Vergleich zu dir!!! Wir möchten dich gerne besuchen kommen, aber nur wenn es dir gut tun würde. Ich muss dich immer noch zum Eisessen einladen. Sag mir einfach wann.
Dein ewiger Freund Jared
Wow guys, Way to hang in there! Christy, thanks for all the details. I'm learning a lot, and I really feel for you guys. Here, Christy - this scripture is for you from me:
ReplyDelete1 Ne 17:2 You'll know what I mean when you read it :) Love you!
Hi Christy and Danny,
ReplyDeleteWe know how rough this is for you guys as Glenn's dad just went through all of this battling lymphomic cancer. We are happy to say he's been in remission for a few months now and we hope to hear the same news from you guys in the near future. We are thinking about you and you guys are in our prayers. Please let us know if need anything.
Danny and Christy,
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me but I am Josh Collette's sister-in-law (Rose's sister). I am sorry to hear about your news. I was in a very similar situation, diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease when I was 18, about 7 years ago. I had stage 2A and it was also early August that I started chemotherapy treatments. Reading your blog has brought back a lot of memories for me. :) Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that if you ever want to talk about it or ask me any questions, I'd be happy to help. I was able to talk to a Hodgkin's survivor before I started treatments and it really helped. We will keep you in our prayers!
Always,
Melody Nartker
melodynartker@gmail.com
I am so inspired by you and Danny's positive outlook on this situation. I am blown away by your attitude of "Let's beat this!" You have given me the motivation to look at my life differently. I love you guys and am continually praying for you! Much Love!
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry that you are facing this incredible trial, but we know that with your faith and the faith of your family and friends you will be supported by our Heavenly Father. Our prayers are always with you. We love you. -The Blodgetts
ReplyDeleteYou are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers. You are such an incredible example to me- having such amazing faith and positivity throughout your trials.
ReplyDeleteChristina and Danny,
ReplyDeleteChristy--I was checking up on you via facebook and found out what was going on. Please know you both are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Fruit popsciles are great to have on had after chemo treatments! My sister always said they tasted the best.
Much love,
Amy Krantz (Honors Room Londoner)
It was so good to see today. Hope the start of chemo isn't too rough. Thanks for putting in all the detail. It's helpful to hear about it--
ReplyDelete