Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Washington DC part 2

On Sunday Danny, Lucy and I drove to DC to check out the monuments. It was another rainy day, but this time it was seriously rainy and windy. We held out umbrellas out in front of us and walked along the mall, fighting off the wind, getting soaked anyway, determined to see some monuments!!

We were lucky to get an amazing parking spot on the street near the Vietnam War memorial. Danny and I both had studied the memorial in school and were surprised how moved we were by it.  It made quite an impact.
We walked down to the Lincoln memorial.  After seeing tons of pictures and reading about it I was still surprised at His size.  Lucy is so fun to have around. She is a great little sight seer and I had fun talking to her about Lincoln and the Civil War.


We walked by the Korean War memorial and down the mall to the WW2 memorial. By this time we were pretty soaked through and truly freezing. This was the first day I was really cold at walking down to WW2 I realized I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. Poor Lucy was starting shake, so we made only a cursory tour of the WW2 memorial.  Its too bad too because it was really beautiful and I wish we could have read all the great quotes etc.
 We started walking back to the car (Lucy was really slow...) and Danny got impatient. He put down his useless umbrella, threw Lucy on his back and started running.  This is how we looked when we got back in the car.
We drove to several different places for lunch, not knowing that lots of food places close on Sunday there. We ended up at a little pub near the Library of Congress and got to thaw out a bit.

After lunch we went to the Botanical Gardens right in front of the Capital.  We loved that it was warm and dry:) It was a beautiful and we had fun exploring.



It started snowing as we made the hour drive home so we were glad we left when we did. We had a leisurely afternoon at home, again, glad to be dry at last.

On Monday we were blessed with gorgeous, warm weather. We took the opportunity to drive to Mount Vernon.  This was my favorite day.  The grounds are huge! We toured the house and then wandered around the grounds learning more about life in Washington's time.  It was the perfect day and the lids had so much fun running around outside and learning new things.

There were newborn lambs in these pens!



The kids got to meet and talk to Mrs. Washington! I only got weird pictures of it but the kids stood up there with her for ten minutes:)


We had so much fun! The next morning we were up and at the airport for our early flight. Lucy had an even better second flight and was surprised how fast 6 hours flew by:) We were so happy to see you babies again!

No comments:

Post a Comment