Wednesday, August 29, 2012

1st Day of Kindergarten

Today was Lucy's first day of school. She has been really excited to start kindergarten and she did great!  We washed her hair with her new big girl shampoo, pulled her bangs back into a braid and she picked out her outfit. Danny made her favorite banana pancakes and a smoothie for breakfast so she was ready for the day. Her crowning glory is her new Merida backpack from Grandma Karen.

 She graciously let me take TONS of pictures of her. 


We walked up the block to school ( which is AWESOME!) and dropped her off all together.  She got to play on the playground for a minute beforehand and that is when I lost it.  I remembered my own first day of kindergarten. I was a very shy five year old (and six year old, and seven year old...) and I remember thinking that everyone seemed nice, but they would never want to be friends with me. Worse, instead of just being cool with that and going off to play I was humiliated and ashamed by it.   I stood there watching Lucy play with all these other little girls around and thought, "What if kids are mean to her? What if she feels unwanted or left out? What if she feels uncool?".  On the way home Danny kindly reminded me that Lucy is NOT me. She is outgoing, social, and self-confident.  She has many friends and feels comfortable with herself.  I am so glad she is such an easy-going, confident kid. I would not wish my school years on her and fortunately I don't think she'll have a similar experience.  Fortunately I was able to pull myself together and have a fun Costco outing with Danny and the babies.

I picked her up and she kindly told me all about her first day. I know all the rules of the playground/her classroom, where the bathroom is and that it has an automatic flush.   She can't wait to go back tomorrow:)




1 comment:

  1. She looks so beautiful!!! So happy for the day. It's really exciting. (I'm sorry for five year old Christy...)

    ReplyDelete