This past month, every time I've thought of something I want to blog about I've told myself to hold off and wait for bedrest-knowing that I'd have PLENTY of time to document all the happenings of this month. Well, I am one week in and haven't felt like sharing. Mostly that has been due to logistics. Last week Danny's laptop broke. Two days later, my desktop mysteriously turned itself off and wouldn't turn on again. Not three days later Danny's i phone suddenly stopped working. We went down to the apple store each time one of our devices broke. It almost made me lose my faith in apple. Fortunately they were able to fix the laptop ( although it was 2 months out of warranty. grrr.) they fixed my desktop for free (thank Heavens) and even though Danny's i Phone was 60 days over the warranty-the guy looked at him (having seen him in the store several times that week already) and handed him a brand new phone. Our luck turned at last! Anyway, I have been computer less for a little over a week. The other tricky thing is my physical situation. I don't think I've mentioned how I think this pregnancy is going to play out. While pregnant with Lucy we discovered I have a short cervix. Most people discover this after having a late-term miscarriage, so we felt very lucky that we were able to save Lucy by getting a cerclage at 18 weeks (they stitch your cervix shut in an effort to keep you from delivering very very early.) When we attempted to get pregnant with twins, we knew that this could make my issue a little more tricky-because twins are double the weight on your cervix and are already at higher risk for premature delivery. While I have heard several different opinions, my perinatologist wanted me to get a cerclage at 13 weeks and then be on strict bedrest for two weeks while my body healed and the stitches gained stregnth. At 15 weeks I can walk around again, I'm just supposed to take it kind of easy and not lift anything heavier then a milk carton. At 20 weeks I will be put on moderate bedrest, which means I can get up in the morning, get ready, eat breakfast, go on a short errand/play with Lucy then lay down for 2-3 hours. After lunch I'm supposed to lay down for 3-4 hours. After dinner I should be down for the rest of the night. This lasts from 20-35 weeks (Christmas- April)when the stitches are removed. During that time I'll have a take home contraction monitor which sends signals to the hospital making sure I'm not in labor. That sounds pretty cool. The real risk this time around is pre-mature labor. It doesn't necessarily hurt, so it can be difficult to know if that is what you're experiencing. I've already taken the class so I hope I can tell if it happens. Pre-mature labor can start your cervix dilating-but with stitches trying to keep my cervix shut-that is bad news.
So Tuesday was the cerclage. My youngest sister Katy flew in on Sunday to take care of us during this two weeks bedrest. It was so nice knowing that she and Lucy were having fun while Danny and I spent the day at the hospital. I'll spare you the details, but I did not enjoy the cerclage. I was given a spinal, but had to stay awake for the procedure. I brought in my ipod and tried to listen to a book on tape so I didn't have to listen to the doctor and nurses talking about what they were doing. Nasty. Anyway, after about five hours of observation and making sure the babies were okay I was sent home at last. Since then I have been confined to the couch. I had forgotten what that feels like. I'm sore and cranky most of the time, I expend hardly any calories so eating is a chore, digesting laying down is less then comfortable, and most tv is awful. Now that I'm done whining however, Katy has been incredible doing all of my jobs. She has kept the house clean, fed us fun meals, done a craft with Lucy every day, and watched shows with me. Somehow she has found the time to read like 7 books too-crazy.
Anyway, that is what is up. I need to write some catch up posts about our trip to Utah, Lucy, and how we have made decisions that will completely change the next weeks, months and years of our lives. Wasn't that a good cliffhanger?
I am so happy Apple did the right thing. That was awful nice of that man to give Danny a free phone. I am so happy for you AND Katy that she is out there. I am sure Katy is in heaven, being with Lucy all day. I'm so excited for y'all. It sounds like a long road is ahead, but at least it is completely worth it and you have lots of help!
ReplyDeleteChristy,
ReplyDeleteI have been so anxious to hear how you are doing. Obviously our pregnancies will be vastly different as I never was put on bed rest but it's fun to kinda relive that time. Katy is awesome for helping out so much and I can't wait to hear more about how you guys are doing! I'm thinking of you and praying everything will go ok! Good luck!!!
Oh Christina, good luck! And yes, that was a great cliffhanger. Can't wait to read the next one!
ReplyDeleteExcited for the next post--or you can tell me IN PERSON! I pack tonight and we are out of here! So glad to see some posts coming...it rewards my constant checking.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to get an update! My thoughts are with you while you have to be down for two weeks. I literally cannot imagine what this is like. I really admire you, Christy! And WAY TO GO Katy! Love you!
ReplyDelete