Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hopes

Those of you who have read this blog for awhile know that I'm a girl with a plan.  I can be flexible with my daily agenda, but I like to know what to expect each day and down the road.  Cancer really threw me. With an ambiguous future and lots of unknowns I had a hard time giving up my "life plan".  I had planned on being pregnant this year and delivering a baby about now.  When we were told that chemotherapy would likely make Danny infertile, I tried to put off my feelings of despair and focus on Danny and his treatment.  In this recovery period, my despair has caught up with me.  I've had a hard time watching lots of friends get pregnant and have their babies these last months.  I'm afraid one of my many weaknesses is self pity and I've indulged in it.  I made a new plan, to try and get pregnant in the fall when we're all settled in Irvine.  This made lots of logical sense and also let me put off my fears.  I had mostly been afraid of testing Danny's banked sperm-a specialist had told us that it was likely damaged by his cancer (that was the one time I sobbed in front of a doctor. With all the good and bad news we received I was able to keep it together-but you can't kill a girl's hopes and not get hysteria. It's okay, he told me I should be happy to have Lucy-jerk.)  The new plan didn't help my feelings, however, and finally I decided to listen to them.  Danny and I talked about it on a beautiful hike in the hills one day and decided to start now. I immediately felt like this was the right time.  The last couple weeks have been filled with ups and downs and I'm sure there will be more of both but starting at the end of June we'll be starting InVitro Fertilization.  I had originally hoped it wouldn't go so far as that, but we have limited sperm to work with and want as many babies as we can get out of it! The doctors decided it would be too dangerous to implant more than one embryo due to my own biological issues (who wants hospital bedrest with twins? Not me, but twins would have been nice.) so we'll just do this until it works. I love my doctor and never dreamed it would get started this fast, so I'm very excited.  I don't think I'll post about the process, but just wanted people to know I guess (as an excuse for my irratic/emotional behavior!) I'll let you know when to start crossing your fingers.

9 comments:

  1. Christy, I know a little bit about how you feel. Fertility is a sensitive issue and when it is messed with it can cause a lot of emotions. And having to make new life plans can be very difficult also.

    I am so happy for you that you get to start IVF. We would love to be able to do that someday too. I will most definitely cross my fingers for you guys (and pray too (o:

    And don't worry about the self pity and hating pregnant women-- it is normal. (o:

    Good luck!

    Love,
    Denae

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my really good friends is going through IVF right now and I know it's no picnic. You're definitely in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, a tricky road full of emotions. I can relate. We love you and will pray for you and your cause :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how exciting! And scary, and a whole lot of other emotions! I think just making a decision and knowing what route you're going and having something to plan on is exciting, even if the upcoming thing is scary! I just told Steve you two were moving to Irvine in the fall and he's excited! We'll be in Fullerton August. I feel like I know you guys already from your blog haha...excited to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok. I am at work...crying. I can't believe that doctor!I am so happy IVF is going to happen for you guys. So many people will be praying for your family! Best of wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're praying for you guys. You two are much stronger than we are, that's why you've been faced with such trials. I'm feeling good things for you, though - yay for baby #2! He'll come quick!...oh, and he'll be a boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! I've had a feeling you guys would have another baby soon! IVF can be really rough, but it'll be worth it when you get your little one! I'll be sending you happy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, Christy! I know IVF is a rough process, but I know you can do it! You have got to be one of the strongest people I know! I love you so much and will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Christy - I wasn't sure if this was out in the open, but I guess it is and I'm really happy for you guys and we will pray that everything will go smoothly. I think you are going to have lots and lots of beautiful babies!! We love you.

    ReplyDelete