Sunday, March 28, 2010

Dallas

Well, I didn't muster the energy to blog from Dallas and tell you about our adventures as they were happening, so on photo-intensive post will have to suffice. Dallas was really fun. We had great/weird weather.  I am not a fan of humidity so I have thought I could never live in the south-but March in Texas is actually quite nice. It was similar to here except that one day it got freakishly cold and snowed-but then it was 65 degrees the next day, so we couldn't complain. We arrived and adjusted to the time change quite quickly-and then adjusted again with daylight savings time. Lucy slept beautifully, but I need to start putting her in a bed rather than a porta-crib because the girl is TALL! She slept on a diagonal with her head hitting the mesh the whole time-poor baby. All of the kids played together perfectly. Danny left about the same time Luke and Emily did-he flew to Irvine for a reception for admitted students in his program. I admit I was a little frightened being left with all the kids on the first night without anyone else but it went surprisingly well.  There were never any tears over sharing or fights as I expected there would be. The kids were also took there parents departure and absence in stride.  I would sob like a baby when my parents left us for more than a few days (heck, I got homesick when I left for college and sobbed from Salt Lake to Provo).  The kids were awesome.  The hardest part was entertaining everyone! It was spring break so we had long days to fill, but everyone enjoyed the outings we went on.  They caught on quick that an outing meant Aunt Christy giving Princess fruit snacks and crackers in the car:) We did have some boo boos along the way.  Poor Camille fell and hurt her leg at one point and wouldn't walk on it for two days.  I took her to urgent care just in case and they said she had a light sprain. She scooted around the house on her bum to avoid walking on it. When she did start walking again she tripped at the park and scraped off several layers of skin off her nose. Poor girl.  She was rewarded with Barbie band aids.  On our last day in TX we took the kids to the pool. Within 30 seconds Lucy fell on the pooldeck and got two cuts under her chin.  I was covered in blood while we tried to figure out if she needed stitches or not.  Fortunately we decided they didn't look too deep (and you can't see a scar down there anyway!) and she hopped back into the pool. She was excited to get a Barbie bandaid on her face and match her cousin.  Grandma Marilyn came about five days in and gave us an emotional boost. Danny and I were able to go out to dinner and a movie which we haven't done in awhile. We needed it by that point too! She really saved us-she was another playmate, another set of eyes while trying to keep track of everyone and another set of hands preparing meals. Bless her forever for coming with us.
  It is weird being home now with only one kiddo. I miss the kids and think about them going about their routines that I'm aware of now. I hope Lizzie doesn't forget me. We feel lucky to have really bonded with those kids during our stay.  Lucy has missed playing with them and we have missed talking and hugging them.  I'm glad we'll see them in a few months.
Some pics:
St. Patrick's Day! Danny and Spencer made a trap and we painted some rainbows to lure the leprechauns in.
The Leprachans were too clever for our trap and they made a disaster all over the house!

Malls are awesome! We drove around, played at the Disney Store and Barnes and Noble several times.
 
 
 
Proof of poor Camille's owie.
 On a perfect day we flew a princess kite.

 
Bloody shirt (excuse bad pic)


 
Adorable Lizzie at pool

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how big all the kids are getting. Crazy thing is that the Leiningers moved on to Glenwillow when I was four. Hard to imagine that Luke has kids so much older than that. What a fun trip-- glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete