Monday, June 3, 2013

Free

Danny is cancer free.

Waiting for the pathology of Danny's last biopsy nearly drove our families completely crazy last week.  We expected results in about 7 days...but by day 4 Danny started calling Stanford just in case.  On Friday morning, day 5, I had no expectation of hearing any news. We were sitting around the table eating breakfast when Danny came running/ jumping into the room.  We knew it was good news:) I yanked the phone from his hand so I could hear the voicemail myself.  Dr. Percival explained that they don't know why the PET scan showed activity in the same areas he previously had cancer (so, no definitive evidence it was mono) but that the tissue in his chest came back with no signs of cancer. My favorite part was the very sincere, "Congratulations".

Danny was ready to celebrate. He started calling his parents and siblings instantly. He physically looked healthier, happier. You could almost see the weight of stress leave his shoulders.  It took me a lot longer to digest, but I was definitely happy. I taught Lydia to chant "No Cancer, Yeah Daddy!" and Instagrammed the happy news while Danny talked with family.  That evening Katy dropped her plans and stayed home with my kids so Danny and I could go to the temple with some of his family. It was the perfect place to be happy and grateful. Standing all together in the celestial room was when it really hit me. We were finally free.

Its amazing how quickly that feeling goes. Danny is still feeling pretty gross, has pain at his incision point and can't sleep.  The things I used to worry about, that completely lost significance when we were facing cancer, came back with a vengeance. It seems you can never just not be worrying about something
Fortunately those feelings and worries come with a new perspective too. 
Danny and I are amazed when we look back and see the Lord's hand in our lives. We are immensely grateful for Danny's diagnosis and pray that we'll hit the five year mark, ten year mark etc and stay cancer free.  

We are so grateful to our incredible family and friends who have prayed and thought of us. 
Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. So incredibly happy! What fabulous news to share with the world! :) Prayers are really answered and miracles still happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can still hardly believe that we finally found out AND it was good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is like the greatest miracle I've ever seen. SO HAPPY. Excuse me while I perform a MAJOR happy dance...

    ReplyDelete