Monday, March 11, 2013

Locked Out

So, I had a traumatizing afternoon.  Here are way too many details about something thats not too dramatic or irregular, but freaked me out. 
This morning I took Lucy to school and then took the babies to a friend's house to have their pictures taken. Unfortunately the babies did not feel like smiling, but their natural cuteness was enough to probably get some cute shots. When I had plenty of time before school got out, I drove to Target to fill the time (and get some new sunglasses-Lydia broke mine last week).  I was talking to Becca on the blue tooth in my car, parked,  grabbed my phone and switched to iphone mode, then got Lydia out and shut her door. I went over to get Joyce and the door was locked. I had left my keys and bag on the front seat and had locked the doors without realizing it!  I freaked out. It was 70 degrees but a car can get hot so fast! I hung up on Becca and called Danny. He was home but fully 25 minutes away. He said he'd borrow Grandma's car and get there as fast as he could. I had no idea how Joyce would do in there or how hot it would get so I tried calling the Concord police station (we don't have AAA so I didn't know who else to call that would be fast). The concord police message system had TONS of menus and random things so I hung up and decided to just call 911. It must have been a slow day because they were awesome and a fire truck was there in minutes. The dispatcher told me that sometiems they don't have the right equipment to open the door, so if the child is in distress they just break the window. With Danny coming I was really hoping that wasn't necessary. 
I called Danny, checked on his status and cried watching poor Joyce cry. She realized that I wasn't getting her out and she really wailed for awhile there.  Target goers who passed were very nice and sympathetic. Someone got me a tissue:0
The firetruck came and three wonderful men helped and were super nice to me about it all. My car was hard to break in to so they just reasured me that Joyce was fine. Joyce calmed down as soon as they came and liked watching all the men around the car. They made faces at her and were generally entertaining. They said that it was cool enough that as long as Danny hurried they were happy to just stay with us and make sure she was fine. Another fir truck passed and they radioed for it to come over because that truck had a handy tool they could use. Parked right in front with two large firetrucks we got a lot of attention:) Danny arrived just as the foremen got the rod in the door and were trying to flick the lock switch.  I was very grateful for their company and help. Danny saved me in the end:) It took an In N Out trip and large Dr. Pepper to fully get over my PTSD:) 
There you have it.  Documented.

No comments:

Post a Comment