Friday, January 15, 2010

Beach Trip

It has been awhile. We got an awesome new camera from Santa and I immediately took 500 pictures-but the new camera memory card is messed up so they are not on my computer.  I think I can get them back but until then, no Christmas pics, no new pics. But in good news-we are fully on our way to recovery! This week we met with Danny's oncologist where we got the official word that we wouldn't be needing any radiation.  He told us a little more about what to expect in these next months which was exciting as well.  While he has been feeling a little better every day the acute affects of the chemo have only been "out of his system" for about a week.  In a month the Dr. says he'll be feeling pretty good and maybe normal by March.  When I think back on what things were like only a month ago I am astounded at the incredible difference.  The steroids are leaving him at last so his face is much less puffy and with some new hair growth he is looking more like his old self.  He has started shaving again (which is one downside!) and looks so cute with his new soft downy hair.

"Recovery" isn't a very specific job title, but we are filling our days well enough. (Frankly I am loving having Danny home with me every day. Not many wives get to have their best friend on all their errands, walks and activities:) We go on walks every day, do errands and relax during nap times.  Danny just joined the gym with me and swims (in a wetsuit it's so cold!).  Once a week we go on an excursion somewhere.  Last week we went to Pacifica and played at the beach. Lucy LOVED it so we may make each trip to a beach in the future.


Without cancer and chemo as our immediate fears, all the other fears for the unknown future seem to have cropped up again.  I have always been a planner and have liked having a general plan for our lives with some subtle changes here and there. Cancer just put a gigantic hole in our life plan-and it isn't something we can really leave behind us.  I'll have to get used to not knowing what is in store for a little while.  In the meantime when I look in the moment, everything is great and I can appreciate our incredible blessings.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!

    Wow!

    Wow!!!!!

    This is great great news. I really really hoped you wouldn't have to, having an aunt who did radiation.

    What a blessing to be together. It's nice to have an official okay just to get better, in many more ways than one, and just spend time together building, believing and being.

    Love you guys!
    The L's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so fun to read!!! Danny is looking great! I am jealous that he's home everyday with you, but I guess I wouldn't wish cancer on us. You've been awesome through it though and the days ahead look so promising. I'm excited for your future too!!

    ReplyDelete